Health benefits of groundnut / peanut oil
- Cold pressed groundnut oil has bright yellow color with mild peanut flavor.
- It has high smoking point. So best suited for Indian style cooking and deep frying.
- To avoid deoxidization and increase the shelf life, store the oil in dark glass bottle or in stainless container.
- It is free from cholesterol and contains lots of essential fatty acids like omega-6. So it is one of best oil suited for cooking. (Unfortunately corporates have branded peanut oil as un healthy oil)
- It has got ample amount of plant sterols which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It has rich mono saturated fatty acids. This helps to reduce the LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase the HDL (good cholesterol)
- It has rich anti oxidants. This helps to reduce the risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- groundnut oil has rich folates , which boosts the fertility.
- It has rich protein and some times referred as poor man’s protein.
- Consuming groundnut oil helps in hair growth and moisturizes the hair , as its rich in protein.
- It helps to control the blood glucose level.
Note : As groundnut oil is rich in protein and fat, it has to be used in moderation.
Full benefits of the oil can be reaped only if we use cold pressed oil. In refined oils the natural properties will be lost due to bleaching and extracting of oil at high temperature.
Data is taken from https://www.gramiyum.in/ website